"If you're not prepared to be wrong you will never come up with anything original"

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sunshine's Prospectus

After a lot of thought on the subject (no pun intended), I've decided to branch off from people's perspective of me and assumption of what my art will/does look like. I'm not going to be "sunshine" all the time. My subject is disturbing and unsettling pieces - revolting images. My challenge is going to be not just picking a disturbing subject and composition that can be viewed as disturbing but can actually induce a revolted emotion.  I want to distance myself from my comfort zone of subjects and messages of "happy sunshine." Also, for me. working with a gross subject will be hard for me to stay with. My biggest concern is that I will make it look too cutesy.

So that's the prospectus. It was written a week ago, before I had actually put pencil to paper drawing. Luckily, it still applies to my project. Recently I've been aware of a theme around me of trying to lose the "cutesy kid" image. For me, with nicknames like "sunshine" and the new, "fitness barbie" (thanks Doyle) my motive for choosing revolting images is increasingly clear. Just because someone may seem blonde, ditsy, bubbly, peppy, dumb, loud, childish, and sunshiney does not mean that is all there is to there character. I want to show that I have the ability to branch out and try something new and show that there's more to me than cartoon elephants, flowers, and hearts. I'm nearing completion of two of the three planned pictures and am decently satisfied with both so far. I'll try to post pictures of the fly on the eye and struggling serpent soon. I've decided to title the series and final picture, appropriately, "Sunshine's Prospectus."

No comments:

Post a Comment