"If you're not prepared to be wrong you will never come up with anything original"

Friday, February 1, 2013

Challenge Prospectus - Steel Rods

So I think my phone posted the pictures in the reverse order of how I described them... sorry about that, hopefully it isn't too confusing.

Ok, so my prospectus idea is kind of complicated but I am really excited about it. I plan to use about SIX OR SEVEN STEEL RODS to hang different layers of an image from. As Smitty compared the idea to, it sort of resembles a set. Some images I thought of depicting were a forest, an ocean scene, or a garden (which is currently my favorite and shown in my previous post). Each rod would have a different layer of the image hanging from it. For instance, in the garden scene, the first rod would have hanging greenery hanging from it (the inspiration came from the greenery in Smitty's ofice over her desk). The second layer would have some shrubbery and flowers on the ground; this would obviously be suspended far lower than the hanging greenery at the top of the scneery so I would use fishing line. Progressing backwards, each layer would hold another piece of garden scenery, like a rose bush, background shrubbery, or a lattice that all fit together to create one image. From the front, the "set" would look like kind of like a 3D (that's not the best word but I'm not sure what is) image of a pretty garden. However, from the side, the viewer would be able to see the spaces in between layers. Each layer would have its basic shape cut out of probably a fairly thick cardboard, and then covered with a prettier, better material to work off of. Maybe I could paint each layer, but right now I kind of like the idea of painting a base color but creating variations in color, texture, and dimension by building details off of each layer with crumpled tissue paper (and maybe whatever other materials inspire me).

I'm pretty excited about doing a sculpture project; I haven't done one since sophomore year. My hope is to play with negative space, new materials, a hanging piece, motion, and working big! Hopefully it all works out - I think it could turn out great!!! :) 

13 comments:

  1. I really like this idea Kristen, i think it will be intersting to have different materials for the scenes you want to create and I think the more mixed media you can use the better! I think this is a great chance to explore and experiment with different materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea because it reminds me of a stage. If you use bright colors and florals it can really catch the eye, and the layering is almost like a 3D collage. (did I spell that right..?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a set on a stage too! I like the idea a lot. I can't wait to see what different materials you use and what your solution will be to making it look "3d" or separated into layers. How are you planning to display it? I know you are hanging it, but at eye-level? somewhere where people will be able to walk around and view it from the sides, or just from the front? That would make a lot of difference in how its structured I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the most creative idea ever! I like how you will make each of the rods in different ways, but this can be very complicate... Maybe have a partner to help you out? Great idea, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys :) Yea, it's a lot like a stage. Yes, I really want to use as many materials as possible so feel free to give me more ideas! Emma, I think I'd want it to be at eye-level, that's a good point! I would definitely want people to see it from all points of view!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm excited to see it! Also, one more question, will they be hung in a way that will make them able to move around at all or be completely stationary?

      Delete
    2. I definitely want them to be able to move a bit!

      Delete
  6. I really like this idea. I also think you have put a lot of thought and planning into your proposal making it clear and understandable. I do wonder how you will connect it to the ceiling or wall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thought a ton about the technicalities of the installation... but hopefully I can figure that out! Any ideas from people about that are welcome :)

      Delete
  7. awesome idea. You might not be thinking about this in terms of all silhouettes, but if your objects or layers were all black, you could simplify the project leaving you more time to focus on shape and could be a cool experiment with negative space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is one of my favorite ideas I've read so far! I really like how they will be hanging and I especially like the garden concept, but an underwater scene has potential as well. Maybe you could use some sort of cloth for the different layers? That way they would be able to move around a bit. Also, will you paint/color the back of the layers as well? Maybe there would be a different scene from that direction. I think this is a great creative use of space!

    ReplyDelete
  9. K I love this idea!! Even watching you plan out how it would look, I loved it! I think you will make it really interesting and imaginative... I am going to get lost in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's going to be so much fun to play with the scale of all of the different objects. It's going to be kind of like making and putting together your own jigsaw puzzle. I can picture it with lots of lovely colors, too! What if you made it so that it was viewable from both sides? So it would be built out on both sides and you could walk around it. I don't know it that would work, or if the back is going to be more open. I love the idea!

    It's getting harder and harder to prove I'm not a robot.

    ReplyDelete